Tuna melt casserole – great for a supper party or family meal
Oil to grease pan/sauté vegetables
1-2 large loaves of uncut sourdough, soda or granary bread. Enough to cover the entire baking dish when cut into 4-5 cm slices
A handful of sliced mushrooms (optional)
2 red onions chopped finely
3 x 170g cans of tuna in brine
375g cream cheese
2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
Dried mustard (to taste)
Half a teaspoon of dried parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Garlic powder to taste (optional)
300g grated sharp cheese
1. Grease the bottom and sides of baking pan lightly with butter or similar.
2. Toast the bread. When cool cut into triangles and arrange in the pan, packing them close together – as tightly as possible.
3. Sauté mushrooms (if using). Chop and sauté the red onions. Place on kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
4. In a large bowl mix the (mushrooms), red onion, flaked tuna, cream cheese, celery, mustard, parsley, salt, pepper and lemon juice until ingredients are all combined.
5. Add to the baking pan, covering all of the bread.
6. In another bowl mix the sharp cheese, breadcrumbs and garlic powder before sprinkling on top of the mixture in the tray.
7. Bake for 20-30 minutes at 180 C/350 F/gas mark 4 (Fan assisted ovens 160 C/312 F)
Serve hot with a tomato side salad.